December 20, 2011

"Battleship" Trailer Commentary

Director Peter Berg sits down with IGN to provide audio commentary on his latest movie "Battleship".



I don't know what to think about this movie. On one hand, my inner nerd and love of sci-fi results in excitement. On the other hand, it's a movie based on the board game Battleship... It's obvious they're attempting to bank off the popularity of the Transformers movies. And you know what? It'll probably work.

The one thing I learned from this commentary that I really enjoyed was the fact that the aliens aren't here to simply destroy and kill everything, despite what the trailer suggests. They've actually come here in response to an invitation from us, but one of the ships malfunctions and crashes to Earth. As a result of the crash, they lost their ability to communicate with their home planet and must use our satellites to call for help, which may have dire consequences for the people of Earth.

I've always hated the fact that these amazingly intelligent beings who have mastered interstellar space travel come to Earth and...blow up everything. Does it make for an exciting Hollywood movie? Sure. But pardon me for wanting aliens that are more interesting and, dare I say, complex. So, I'm happy to hear that they're not solely here to destroy us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay on topic. Trolls will be deleted. Don't force me to moderate the comments.